Alberta Legislature in session, image via https://www.assembly.ab.ca
EDMONTON— The Alberta government has paused a recent policy change that would have cut off provincial health-care coverage for some temporary foreign workers, a move that drew criticism from the opposition and concern from communities that rely heavily on migrant labour, including Fort McMurray.
Temporary foreign workers make up a notable share of Fort McMurray’s population, particularly in the service and hospitality sectors. The region is also home to a large number of refugees who have fled Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Community advocates say access to health care is a key factor in whether newcomers choose to live and work in northern Alberta.
The policy change, introduced quietly Jan. 7, would have ended coverage for certain International Experience Canada work permit holders, including youth working in Alberta on temporary working vacation visas. After the change drew wider attention last week, the province confirmed Monday it is now on hold pending review.
A spokesperson for the ministry of primary and preventive health said the government is pausing implementation to reassess the policy, describing the original decision as premature and acknowledging concerns raised by workers and employers.
Alberta New Democratic Party immigration critic Lizette Tejada said the reversal has already created uncertainty.
“The UCP’s original decision to secretly cut foreign workers’ health coverage created uncertainty for both people legally allowed to work in Canada and the business owners that rely on them,” Tejada said in a statement.
She said the government’s decision to reverse course after concerns were raised by the tourism industry highlights broader problems with how the issue was handled.
“Now flip-flopping on the issue and calling their own decision to deny health benefits ‘premature’ shows that Danielle Smith and the UCP don’t understand the impacts and harm their decision-making has on Alberta jobs, on workers, and the economy,” Tejada said.
Tourism-dependent communities in the Bow Valley and Jasper have also warned the loss of health coverage could discourage workers from coming to Alberta ahead of the busy spring and summer seasons. Local leaders and immigration groups have called on the province to provide clear public guidance on eligibility during the review period.
The pause leaves unresolved questions about whether temporary foreign workers arriving in Alberta while the review is underway will continue to qualify for provincial health coverage under the government of Premier Danielle Smith.









Comments